Testing A Euro Currency Futures Scalping Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing A Euro Currency Futures Scalping Strategy

Scalping is something that intrigues many system traders. The challenge at taking small, consistent trades from the market daily while risking very little is appealing. With scalping, it’s generally accepted you are trading from a small timeframe, probably 5-minutes or less. The idea is to open a position and capture only a few ticks of profit. The appeal is since we are trading from such a small timeframe, your risk is small thus, you can trade with a small account. Often you will have setups that produce high win rates and occur more frequently than setups on a higher timeframe such as hourly or daily. There tends to be a higher frequency of trading opportunities with scalping which can potentially lead to large accumulated profits vs. your starting equity.

In my opinion, scalping for the retail trader is very difficult to do. One of the biggest barriers is the transaction cost in both commissions and slippages. Scalping means smaller profit per trade yet, as you drill down to smaller and smaller timeframes your costs remain fixed. Thus, the negative impact of commissions and slippages grows taking a bigger percentage of your profits. A single tick of slippage is hardly noticed when you are holding a trade for several days with an average profit of $600 per trade. However, on a scalping system that single tick is the difference between life and death. Then throw in latency, computer issues, internet issues and your margin for error is small. Again, on larger timeframes you can exit a trade now or in a few seconds and it won’t matter that much. Not so in the scalping world where everything is hyper-sensitive and your margin for error is tiny.
    With all this in mind, I thought it would be interesting to look at a scalping trading model for the Euro currency futures. I ran across a very simple scalping strategy at the website One Step Removed. The author is Shaun and he stumbled upon a scalping strategy when conducting research on another trading model. Shaun’s concept and testing was performed on the EURUSD Forex pair. Shaun also points out in his article that his strategy will not be profitable if you have execution slippage of more than 2 pips.
    I found the strategy simple in nature and thought we would have a look at it. I will be coding this strategy in EasyLanguage and will test it on the Euro currency futures. The strategy code is available at the very bottom of this article. Extreme Price Moves

Shaun noticed that extreme price moves as defined by 1% distance from a 200-period simple moving average (SMA) occurred very rarely. Going with the premise that price will soon retreat from such an extreme, this might be a potential location to open a trade. In short, Shaun’s Simple Scalping System (SSS) is a mean reverting strategy that utilizes a SMA envelope. When price closes beyond the envelope a trade is opened. The trade is closed when price returns to the envelope.
    Below is an image of the system with a trade example. Notice there are times when price touches the lower bands and no trade is entered. Price must close below the band to trigger a trade.

Chart Setup and Trading Rules
    • Chart: EURUSD 5 minute
    • SMA Period: 200
    • Moving Average Envelope: 1.0% of the SMA
    Entry rules
    • If the price crosses and closes below the lower envelope, then buy at market.
    • If the price crosses and closes above the upper envelope, then sell short at market.
    Exit rules
    • If the price crosses and closes above the lower envelope, then exit long at market.
    • If the price crosses and closes below the upper envelope, then exit short at market.

For the following backtests in this article I will be starting with a $10,000 trading account and testing over the dates May 2001 – December 31, 2011. The Effect of Slippage and Commissions

To demonstrate the insidious effect that commissions and slippage have on a scalping trading model, for my first backtest I deducted nothing for slippage and commissions. I then added commissions and slippage and ran the backtest again so you can see how it impacts the equity cuve. You just might be surprised at how damaging commissions and slippage can be. The first equity graph below does not take into account slippage and commissions.
    No Commissions or Slippage

The next two charts below do take into account both slippage and commissions. The first chart uses 1 tick of slippage while the second chart uses 2 ticks of slippage.
    $5 Commissions and 1 Tick Slippage Per Round Trip

$5 Commissions and 2 Ticks Slippage Per Round Trip
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MT-MC; 06-26-2017, 09:24 AM.

I got curious, how do guys trade 50-100 or even more RT's a day?

I mean their setups should be really simple and not require much analysis and at the same time have an edge (or they wouldn't trade like that, right?).

So my question is to people who are aware or maybe use such techniques: what's it like? Is such high frequency scalping mostly charts based, DOM based, T&S based or what?

I've read several threads about index future scalping using DOM, but didn't see examples of real setups that appear every couple of minutes.

Of course I don't ask anyone to disclose their edge, but maybe someone can show examples of setups (maybe older ones, which don't have much of an edge anymore) which are used for such heavy scalping just to know what this kind of trading is like?

Also The thing I have noticed is though, that whenever it is right to try and get 1 or 2, it is often wrong to just take the 1 or 2 because it is worth double that. In other words, even though 1 or 2 handle swings occur four times as many times as 4 handle swings, the expectations are such that 96% of the 1-2 handle swings are noise and "impossible" to trade unless you are a MM (imo), and maybe 75% of the 4 handle swings are possible to trade, 50% of which turn out to be noise-2-handle-moves (and have to be recognized as such,) leaving 25% of which turn into real-4-handle-moves.

Comment

Disclaimer: There is a risk of loss in trading futures, forex and options. Futures, forex and options trading are not appropriate for all investors. Only risk capital should be used when trading futures. All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

This website is hosted and operated by AMP Global Clearing, LLC ("AMP"), which provides brokerage services to traders of futures and foreign exchange products. This website is intended for customer support, educational and informational purposes only and should NOT be viewed as a solicitation or recommendation of any product, service or trading strategy. No offer or solicitation to buy or sell derivative or futures products of any kind, or any type of trading or investment advice, recommendation or strategy, is made, given, or in any manner endorsed by AMP and the information made available on this Web site is NOT an offer or solicitation of any kind. The content and opinions expressed on this website are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of AMP.

All Users and Contributors along with their websites, products and services, are independent persons or companies that are in no manner affiliated with AMP. AMP is not responsible for, do not approve, recommend or endorse any User and/or Contributor Content referenced on this website and it’s your sole responsibility to evaluate All Content. Please be aware that any performance information provided by a user and/or contributor should be considered hypothetical.

HYPOTHETICAL PERFORMANCE RESULTS HAVE MANY INHERENT LIMITATIONS, SOME OF WHICH ARE DESCRIBED BELOW. NO REPRESENTATION IS BEING MADE THAT ANY ACCOUNT WILL OR IS LIKELY TO ACHIEVE PROFITS OR LOSSES SIMILAR TO THOSE SHOWN. IN FACT, THERE ARE FREQUENTLY SHARP DIFFERENCES BETWEEN HYPOTHETICAL PERFORMANCE RESULTS AND THE ACTUAL RESULTS SUBSEQUENTLY ACHIEVED BY ANY PARTICULAR TRADING PROGRAM.

ONE OF THE LIMITATIONS OF HYPOTHETICAL PERFORMANCE RESULTS IS THAT THEY ARE GENERALLY PREPARED WITH THE BENEFIT OF HINDSIGHT. IN ADDITION, HYPOTHETICAL TRADING DOES NOT INVOLVE FINANCIAL RISK, AND NO HYPOTHETICAL TRADING RECORD CAN COMPLETELY ACCOUNT FOR THE IMPACT OF FINANCIAL RISK IN ACTUAL TRADING. FOR EXAMPLE, THE ABILITY TO WITHSTAND LOSSES OR TO ADHERE TO A PARTICULAR TRADING PROGRAM IN SPITE OF TRADING LOSSES ARE MATERIAL POINTS WHICH CAN ALSO ADVERSELY AFFECT ACTUAL TRADING RESULTS. THERE ARE NUMEROUS OTHER FACTORS RELATED TO THE MARKETS IN GENERAL OR TO THE IMPLEMENTATION OF ANY SPECIFIC TRADING PROGRAM WHICH CANNOT BE FULLY ACCOUNTED FOR IN THE PREPARATION OF HYPOTHETICAL PERFORMANCE RESULTS AND ALL OF WHICH CAN ADVERSELY AFFECT ACTUAL TRADING RESULTS.

AMP has NOT endorsed or recommended the use any product, services offered by any 3rd party User or Contributor on this forum. No person employed by, or associated with, AMP is authorized to provide any information about any 3rd party User or Contributor content. All specific brokerage related questions should be directed towards AMP.

Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved.

Working...
    X