Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MT5 margin calculations

Hello all,

I'm new here, so please direct me to the right thread if my questions have been answered already. I've asked by email and via online support, who have now directed me here:

I'm endeavouring to port a traditional futures trading strategy to the AMP MetaTrader 5 platform. As such it is currently unaware of an MT5 order's "built in" profit target and stop loss. Hence I'm currently doing lots of testing in your simulation environment.

Q1. [Monday] morning (UTC) I've been "buying the dips" and therefore hitting lots of stop losses whilst depleting my account equity! The strategy in question implements a stop loss by issuing a marketable limit order at its chosen moment. Endeavouring to do this MT5 informed me that:

"EPH20 - Insufficient margin to open BUY LIMIT order size 10.0"

Please can you clarify how your platform came to this decision, which is most unhelpful in all the circumstances! Happily it permitted me to close the trade manually.

Q2. This behaviour prompts another question. Please can you clarify how your platform implements the "built in" profit target and stop loss orders for execution at the CME rather than an FX venue.

Q3. This was on a "demo" account. Does a "live" account work exactly the same way.

TIA,

Jim

The Margin on the MT5 demo should be set already. you will see it reflected under the trade tab. What is the balance on your demo? the balance will determine how many contracts you can trade on the DOM you will see TP take profit and SL stop loss. Dont use stop limits use stop market only. if you need further help call us for one on one support. 1800 560 1640

Comment

• SoulSurfer
      SoulSurfer commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Support, but I'm not looking at a DoM. Except for debugging purposes! Auto trading is the aim.

Our existing strategy uses marketable limit orders at CME for a reason. I don't particularly want to use a platform that forces me to "use a stop market only", even though 99.9 % of the time the outcome will be exactly the same. Why can't I simply close a trade when I want to, the way I want to, without being hassled about "margin"? Or are you worried about the 0.1% of trades for some reason?

Economic Calendar - Track economic announcements with forecast and actuals. Learn about these economic stats

Comment

• SoulSurfer
      SoulSurfer commented
      Editing a comment
      Strangely enough our automated strategies are already aware of the economic calendar. Is yours available via an API by any chance?

Good morning Support (UTC),

I'm based in the South West of the once Great Britain, so I've been champing at the bit for a while already today. What time do you guys get to work in Chicago?

Thanks for that phone number, I'll give it a call if we haven't managed to straighten this out online by the time the LSE closes.

Please can you point me to an accurate description of how your margin requirements are calculated? Day trading only, not overnight! In particular can you explain why in some circumstances MT5 doesn't allow the use of marketable limit orders (with a very wide limit) to close a position?

Would I experience exactly the same "issue" if I was using MultiCharts or CQG QTrader instead of MT5?

Does the "live" version of MT5 behave in an identical way to the "demo" version in this regard, and in the way "built in" stop and target orders are handled?

Thanks in anticipation,

Jim

Comment

The Demo and live are similar in functionality...once you are live you will notice that order levels have to be satisfied before you get a fill unlike demo you are filled right away when using limit orders. The Daytrade margins are calculated on a percentage of Full margin. You must have full margin to take trades thru the overnight period. Have you checked to make sure your "wide" limit order is in the trading range allowed? the best thing for you to do is contact us direct so we can help you one on one. 001 312 893 6400 ext 1

Comment

• SoulSurfer
        SoulSurfer commented
        Editing a comment
        OK - I'll fire up Skype forthwith!

• SoulSurfer
        SoulSurfer commented
        Editing a comment
        Despite the bad line Victor was most helpful. He suggested that I email your Trade Desk Manager, which I will do a bit later on this evening (UTC)

He also told me that your bank charges $30 per transaction to convert GBP to USD

• SoulSurfer
        SoulSurfer commented
        Editing a comment
        Amongst other things, the most relevant information from your TDM for MT5 users seems to be that "Entering a strategy containing a target and stop loss will require double margin."

Yes @ Soulsurfer the exchange requires all orders placed be properly margined.

Comment

• SoulSurfer
        SoulSurfer commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm sure it does @Support!

I am endeavouring to establish EXACTLY what AMP's rules are. The average MT5 "Expert Advisor" isn't actually very intelligent. You have to give it very explicit instructions. Margin calls are not particularly pleasant for anybody concerned.

To be programmatically pedantic I need to find out EXACTLY what the number returned by the MQL5 FreeMarginCheck() function represents. Based on my previous conversations with assorted AMP personnel it seems as though I need to get in touch with somebody at MetaQuotes to get an answer to that question.

Can you by any chance suggest an appropriate name and number/email/Skype handle?

As im sure the help/support desk told you we are here to make sure that you are connected and can trade. The MQL site and the EA's and Developers that are in there are there to provide you with tools that you can use to trade...However the onus is on you the trader to do your due diligence and the Developers track records and and contact info are provided so you can make the best choice for you. We do not get involved in checking every program and return/results that they post. That ball is in your court.

Comment

Forgive me Support, but I don't think you understand the questions I am asking, since your responses are no help whatsoever. Perhaps I need to beef up my profile, although by the sound of it you haven't looked at the existing version?.

FYI I was coding algorithmic trading strategies before Interactive Brokers UK existed (2000 since you asked). For my sins my introduction to the limitations of MetaTrader.was with MT3. I understand that AMP "do not get involved in checking every program and return/results that they post.". I pointed that out to you upthread, which is why I asked for the contact details of someone (hopefully) knowledgeable at MetaQuotes. You still haven't answered that question!

FYI here's where my current "mugshot" originated: http://www.sidthesuperstitiousrobot.com

It's now past my bed time (UTC). I'll be back at my keyboard bright and early tomorrow morning seeking answers to my remaining questions.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulSurfer View Post
          I'll be back at my keyboard bright and early tomorrow morning seeking answers to my remaining questions.
          Over on the MT5 forum I have been informed that:

You can ask all questions you want but most likely you will not get answer from Metaquotes

That doesn't sound awfully hopeful!

Comment

It wasn't!

In the absence of any input from MetaQuotes on their "support forum" I'm doing some empirical testing on a live MT5/CQG account, which reveals that SymbolInfoDouble(xxx, SYMBOL_MARGIN_INITIAL) and SymbolInfoDouble(xxx, SYMBOL_MARGIN_MAINTENANCE) both return the same number during RTH.

400.0 in the case of ES, which is the "day trading" margin.

How is one supposed to determine programmatically what the "overnight" margin is prior to opening a position?

Comment

https://www.ampfutures.com/trading-info/margins/ here is the link to margin page on our website. you will see both day trade and overnight margins

Comment

• SoulSurfer
                SoulSurfer commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, It was suggested on the MT5 forum that I could "Grab the margin html webpage from AMP site, and parse it to collect the data you need."

I responded "I wrote an HTML parser for 'news'" many moons ago, before such things were readily available over an API. I don't particularly want to go through that again though!"

I also said "I will ask AMP to ask MetaQuotes to fix it."

How about trying that?

Disclaimer: There is a risk of loss in trading futures, forex and options. Futures, forex and options trading are not appropriate for all investors. Only risk capital should be used when trading futures. All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

This website is hosted and operated by AMP Global Clearing, LLC ("AMP"), which provides brokerage services to traders of futures and foreign exchange products. This website is intended for customer support, educational and informational purposes only and should NOT be viewed as a solicitation or recommendation of any product, service or trading strategy. No offer or solicitation to buy or sell derivative or futures products of any kind, or any type of trading or investment advice, recommendation or strategy, is made, given, or in any manner endorsed by AMP and the information made available on this Web site is NOT an offer or solicitation of any kind. The content and opinions expressed on this website are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of AMP.

All Users and Contributors along with their websites, products and services, are independent persons or companies that are in no manner affiliated with AMP. AMP is not responsible for, do not approve, recommend or endorse any User and/or Contributor Content referenced on this website and it’s your sole responsibility to evaluate All Content. Please be aware that any performance information provided by a user and/or contributor should be considered hypothetical.

HYPOTHETICAL PERFORMANCE RESULTS HAVE MANY INHERENT LIMITATIONS, SOME OF WHICH ARE DESCRIBED BELOW. NO REPRESENTATION IS BEING MADE THAT ANY ACCOUNT WILL OR IS LIKELY TO ACHIEVE PROFITS OR LOSSES SIMILAR TO THOSE SHOWN. IN FACT, THERE ARE FREQUENTLY SHARP DIFFERENCES BETWEEN HYPOTHETICAL PERFORMANCE RESULTS AND THE ACTUAL RESULTS SUBSEQUENTLY ACHIEVED BY ANY PARTICULAR TRADING PROGRAM.

ONE OF THE LIMITATIONS OF HYPOTHETICAL PERFORMANCE RESULTS IS THAT THEY ARE GENERALLY PREPARED WITH THE BENEFIT OF HINDSIGHT. IN ADDITION, HYPOTHETICAL TRADING DOES NOT INVOLVE FINANCIAL RISK, AND NO HYPOTHETICAL TRADING RECORD CAN COMPLETELY ACCOUNT FOR THE IMPACT OF FINANCIAL RISK IN ACTUAL TRADING. FOR EXAMPLE, THE ABILITY TO WITHSTAND LOSSES OR TO ADHERE TO A PARTICULAR TRADING PROGRAM IN SPITE OF TRADING LOSSES ARE MATERIAL POINTS WHICH CAN ALSO ADVERSELY AFFECT ACTUAL TRADING RESULTS. THERE ARE NUMEROUS OTHER FACTORS RELATED TO THE MARKETS IN GENERAL OR TO THE IMPLEMENTATION OF ANY SPECIFIC TRADING PROGRAM WHICH CANNOT BE FULLY ACCOUNTED FOR IN THE PREPARATION OF HYPOTHETICAL PERFORMANCE RESULTS AND ALL OF WHICH CAN ADVERSELY AFFECT ACTUAL TRADING RESULTS.

AMP has NOT endorsed or recommended the use any product, services offered by any 3rd party User or Contributor on this forum. No person employed by, or associated with, AMP is authorized to provide any information about any 3rd party User or Contributor content. All specific brokerage related questions should be directed towards AMP.

Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved.

Working...
            X