Collecting data using QuoteManager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collecting data using QuoteManager

I have just discovered that you can collect and store price data by selecting instruments in QuoteManager and setting the "Collect RT Data w/o Plotting" option to "on", so that you don't have to have a chart open for every contract that you want to collect data for.

This means that over time you'll be able to use that data for testing strategies on contracts that have expired and are no longer available by the data provider.

My question is, does QuoteManager have to be always running for this to happen?

I have selected "Online: Load the locally stored data and connect to a real-time data feed" option and ticked "Download missing historical data" in the Data Server Mode dialogue box in Quote Manager (QuoteManager>File>Preferences) but I'm not sure what that means exactly.

If I shutdown my computer, and then start it and open Multicharts and QuoteManager again, will it download the price data that is missing from when MultiCharts and QuoteManager weren't running?

thanks in advance!

Collect RT Data w/o Plotting” option is useful if you are using a feed that provides only a short period of historical data or no historical at all. It also helps to save realtime bars into database to avoid backfilling historical bars (which can be different from RT bars) from the data vendor's servers. You can build up a local library of historical data by collecting RT data for the symbols you need, without needing to constantly open and maintain all charts every single day. Note: The option collects only real time data from the moment you enable it for the symbol, only while QuoteManager is up and running.

Comment

Thanks for your response, but I had already read that on the MultiCharts discussion page about Online Mode Data Collection (https://www.multicharts.com/trading-...ata_Collection), and I asked my question because that paragraph didn't make clear what I wanted to know.

If I open a chart for a current contract, the data is displayed as candlesticks in real-time up to the current time.

When I close MultiCharts, as I understand it, that data is saved locally on my computer.

When I open MultiCharts the next time, and open the same contract, the price data that was happening while MC was not open on my computer, is displayed on the chart, along with the price candles that are occurring from the time I re-opened the chart. The missing historical data is retrieved and the chart displays a continuous set of candles from the beginning of the contract.

According to MC, QuoteManager is designed to collect data without the need to "constantly open and maintain all charts every single day".

The part that is not clear to me is the sentence "Note: The option collects only real time data from the moment you enable it for the symbol, only while QuoteManager is up and running".

It seems from this sentence that if I close QuoteManager and re-open it later on, that it will not collect the data that was being created while QuoteManager was closed, so there will be a gap in the data that gets stored locally on my computer, even though I have ticked the "Download missing historical data" in the Data Server Mode dialogue box in QuoteManager.

When I re-open QuoteManager, if it doesn't "Download missing historical data", what is the point of QM? I may as well make sure I open and maintain all the charts that I want to collect historical data for.

So my question is, does QM retrieve the missing historical data or not?

Are you able to clarify this please?

Comment

When you download MC..you will notice 3 or 4 additional icons running on your desktop...the quote manager is one of them..so in theory it is always running.. thereby keeping the the data up to date.

Comment

When I shut down my computer at bedtime, MC is not running at all.

When I restart my computer the next day, and open MC and QuoteManager, does QM retrieve the overnight data, like re-opening a chart does?

Comment

yes it does..you will notice that usually there is no time missing from chart. it loads up and continues from where you turn it on. if this is not the case please contact us again.

Comment

Thank you for clearing that up!

Comment

Disclaimer: There is a risk of loss in trading futures, forex and options. Futures, forex and options trading are not appropriate for all investors. Only risk capital should be used when trading futures. All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

This website is hosted and operated by AMP Global Clearing, LLC ("AMP"), which provides brokerage services to traders of futures and foreign exchange products. This website is intended for customer support, educational and informational purposes only and should NOT be viewed as a solicitation or recommendation of any product, service or trading strategy. No offer or solicitation to buy or sell derivative or futures products of any kind, or any type of trading or investment advice, recommendation or strategy, is made, given, or in any manner endorsed by AMP and the information made available on this Web site is NOT an offer or solicitation of any kind. The content and opinions expressed on this website are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of AMP.

All Users and Contributors along with their websites, products and services, are independent persons or companies that are in no manner affiliated with AMP. AMP is not responsible for, do not approve, recommend or endorse any User and/or Contributor Content referenced on this website and it’s your sole responsibility to evaluate All Content. Please be aware that any performance information provided by a user and/or contributor should be considered hypothetical.

HYPOTHETICAL PERFORMANCE RESULTS HAVE MANY INHERENT LIMITATIONS, SOME OF WHICH ARE DESCRIBED BELOW. NO REPRESENTATION IS BEING MADE THAT ANY ACCOUNT WILL OR IS LIKELY TO ACHIEVE PROFITS OR LOSSES SIMILAR TO THOSE SHOWN. IN FACT, THERE ARE FREQUENTLY SHARP DIFFERENCES BETWEEN HYPOTHETICAL PERFORMANCE RESULTS AND THE ACTUAL RESULTS SUBSEQUENTLY ACHIEVED BY ANY PARTICULAR TRADING PROGRAM.

ONE OF THE LIMITATIONS OF HYPOTHETICAL PERFORMANCE RESULTS IS THAT THEY ARE GENERALLY PREPARED WITH THE BENEFIT OF HINDSIGHT. IN ADDITION, HYPOTHETICAL TRADING DOES NOT INVOLVE FINANCIAL RISK, AND NO HYPOTHETICAL TRADING RECORD CAN COMPLETELY ACCOUNT FOR THE IMPACT OF FINANCIAL RISK IN ACTUAL TRADING. FOR EXAMPLE, THE ABILITY TO WITHSTAND LOSSES OR TO ADHERE TO A PARTICULAR TRADING PROGRAM IN SPITE OF TRADING LOSSES ARE MATERIAL POINTS WHICH CAN ALSO ADVERSELY AFFECT ACTUAL TRADING RESULTS. THERE ARE NUMEROUS OTHER FACTORS RELATED TO THE MARKETS IN GENERAL OR TO THE IMPLEMENTATION OF ANY SPECIFIC TRADING PROGRAM WHICH CANNOT BE FULLY ACCOUNTED FOR IN THE PREPARATION OF HYPOTHETICAL PERFORMANCE RESULTS AND ALL OF WHICH CAN ADVERSELY AFFECT ACTUAL TRADING RESULTS.

AMP has NOT endorsed or recommended the use any product, services offered by any 3rd party User or Contributor on this forum. No person employed by, or associated with, AMP is authorized to provide any information about any 3rd party User or Contributor content. All specific brokerage related questions should be directed towards AMP.

Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved.

Working...
              X