#3 Turn Frustration into FOCUS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #3 Turn Frustration into FOCUS

A common phrase from traders has been "I'm so frustrated!" Frustrated with the system, loses, market, entries, exits, you name it blah blah blah. When it’s the mind they should be frustrated with. Yes, the mind is in control of ALL you do, so unless you work as hard on its management as the strategy, frustration will always be there.

So WHY and how does frustration start and grow anyway? Well there are MANY ways to fuel it. One is thinking of too many things at one time which also creates overwhelm. A trader gets ready for the trading day, sets the screens, looks at the markets, listens to the TV, Twits and gets the coffee. Then they plan the attack and are ready to go. They see the market move and maybe they even have a great entry strategy. They enter. But once the trade is on the "swirling thoughts" begin and emotions laced with doubting appear. "Is this the right time? I should have waited? What if I’m wrong, again? What if I lose? What are other markets doing? The tension in the body and mind begins to build up. The heart starts to race, there’s a pounding in the chest, breathing is shallow or non-existent and the mouth gets dry. That is an emotional reaction to the trade.

BUT, lets’ say the trade goes in the right direction .... OH, GOOD…. this now brings a moment of temporary relief and new thoughts come to mind “I was right, and entered at a good price and I’m OK, I think.” The eyes are scanning all indicators and levels to gather the data to make the decide to exit. Thoughts are all over the place and then the market stalls....... longer than expected and emotions start to soar again. Frustration is growing from the delay, and many will exit NOT because it’s the right price but just to feel some relief. They exit, and of course the trade takes off right to the target. Sound familiar? The mind and body releases the emotional pressure build-up and this fuels FRUSTRATION! The mind goes into the “could have” “should have” mode missing the potential of the trade. This scenario has been experienced by at least 98% of all trader’s. (myself included) So, what's a trader to do?

Here are some steps to removing frustration:
    1) FOCUS, FOCUS, FOCUS on ONE thing at a time.
    2) Identify what caused the frustration and create a new rule to address it for next time.
    3) Remember YOU are the one in control of your emotions. Just decide to stop and say it has “ZERO” value to hold onto any emotion.Choose to just let it go.
    4) Stay focused on your exactly where you are in the enter>exit process. Go step by Step.
    5) Be VERY targeted.
    6) Define and KNOW your strategy inside and out.
    7) Be sure to have a plan and work it.
    8) Remember FOCUS will stop overwhelm and reduce frustration.
    9) Finally, if you KNOW you can’t control or stop your emotions GET HELP. It will be the best investment you will make in yourself and trading future.

AND please feel free to emails me your questions: [email protected] (will respond in 48 hrs.)

Thanks for the insight on FOCUS Coach Robin. It is true that those swirling thoughts start at the first click of the mouse as you enter the trade. Some people handle it differently. Those that are trading money especially scared money will be most affected by these thoughts, others who can see the market for what it is will execute without fear and if they are wrong they will
    get out and know that there are other opportunities. This reminds me of a trader in the pit who once he had a large position on and the crowd was pushing the prices away from him would yell out to the traders Let IT Breathe!!!

Comment

Disclaimer: There is a risk of loss in trading futures, forex and options. Futures, forex and options trading are not appropriate for all investors. Only risk capital should be used when trading futures. All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

This website is hosted and operated by AMP Global Clearing, LLC ("AMP"), which provides brokerage services to traders of futures and foreign exchange products. This website is intended for customer support, educational and informational purposes only and should NOT be viewed as a solicitation or recommendation of any product, service or trading strategy. No offer or solicitation to buy or sell derivative or futures products of any kind, or any type of trading or investment advice, recommendation or strategy, is made, given, or in any manner endorsed by AMP and the information made available on this Web site is NOT an offer or solicitation of any kind. The content and opinions expressed on this website are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of AMP.

All Users and Contributors along with their websites, products and services, are independent persons or companies that are in no manner affiliated with AMP. AMP is not responsible for, do not approve, recommend or endorse any User and/or Contributor Content referenced on this website and it’s your sole responsibility to evaluate All Content. Please be aware that any performance information provided by a user and/or contributor should be considered hypothetical.

HYPOTHETICAL PERFORMANCE RESULTS HAVE MANY INHERENT LIMITATIONS, SOME OF WHICH ARE DESCRIBED BELOW. NO REPRESENTATION IS BEING MADE THAT ANY ACCOUNT WILL OR IS LIKELY TO ACHIEVE PROFITS OR LOSSES SIMILAR TO THOSE SHOWN. IN FACT, THERE ARE FREQUENTLY SHARP DIFFERENCES BETWEEN HYPOTHETICAL PERFORMANCE RESULTS AND THE ACTUAL RESULTS SUBSEQUENTLY ACHIEVED BY ANY PARTICULAR TRADING PROGRAM.

ONE OF THE LIMITATIONS OF HYPOTHETICAL PERFORMANCE RESULTS IS THAT THEY ARE GENERALLY PREPARED WITH THE BENEFIT OF HINDSIGHT. IN ADDITION, HYPOTHETICAL TRADING DOES NOT INVOLVE FINANCIAL RISK, AND NO HYPOTHETICAL TRADING RECORD CAN COMPLETELY ACCOUNT FOR THE IMPACT OF FINANCIAL RISK IN ACTUAL TRADING. FOR EXAMPLE, THE ABILITY TO WITHSTAND LOSSES OR TO ADHERE TO A PARTICULAR TRADING PROGRAM IN SPITE OF TRADING LOSSES ARE MATERIAL POINTS WHICH CAN ALSO ADVERSELY AFFECT ACTUAL TRADING RESULTS. THERE ARE NUMEROUS OTHER FACTORS RELATED TO THE MARKETS IN GENERAL OR TO THE IMPLEMENTATION OF ANY SPECIFIC TRADING PROGRAM WHICH CANNOT BE FULLY ACCOUNTED FOR IN THE PREPARATION OF HYPOTHETICAL PERFORMANCE RESULTS AND ALL OF WHICH CAN ADVERSELY AFFECT ACTUAL TRADING RESULTS.

AMP has NOT endorsed or recommended the use any product, services offered by any 3rd party User or Contributor on this forum. No person employed by, or associated with, AMP is authorized to provide any information about any 3rd party User or Contributor content. All specific brokerage related questions should be directed towards AMP.

Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved.

Working...
    X